Today I wanted to share with you a recipe I made a couple of days ago. I’ve also made it several times in the past. It’s called Lentil-Mushroom Burgers. I found this recipe a few years ago searching for a veggie burger recipe. There are many veggie burger recipes out there and I will try some different ones but this is the first one I tried. I found it here but will also copy the recipe below: http://www.scottjurek.com/lentilmushroom-burger/
What you’ll need:
1 cup dried green lentils (2 ¼ cups cooked)
2 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon dried parsley
¼ teaspoon black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 ¼ cups finely chopped onion
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 cups fine bread crumbs*
1/2 cup ground flax seed (flax seed meal)
3 cups finely chopped mushrooms
1 1/2 cups destemmed, finely chopped kale, spinach, or winter greens
2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
How to make it:
1. In a small pot, bring the lentils, water, parsley, 1 garlic clove, and ¼ cup of the onion to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 35 to 40 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the lentils are soft.
2. While the lentils are cooking, combine the walnuts, bread crumbs, and flax seed in a bowl. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and paprika and mix well.
3. Saute the remaining onion, remaining garlic, the mushrooms, and greens in the oil for 8 to 10 minutes, then set aside.
4. Remove the lentils from the heat, add the vinegar and mustard, and mash with a potato masher or wooden spoon to a thick paste.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine the lentils, sauteed veggies, and bread crumb mixtures, and mix well. Cool in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes or more.
6. Using your hands, form burger patties to your desired size and place on waxed paper. Lightly fry in a seasoned skillet, broil, or grill until lightly browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
This is a great veggie burger recipe. Why don’t you give it a try and comment your thoughts below.